2nd post: Clarifying my Clarinet Career



The clarinet is one of the youngest members in the orchestra. It was originally made by modifying the chalumeau to substitute trumpets on some notes. Though its history may be short, its significance in modern orchestras is undeniable. In a classic orchestra, it holds the key position as one of the woodwinds alongside the flute, oboe, and saxophone. It also carries the job of a violin in a wind orchestra, leading the main melody.



 I started playing this instrument when I was 10, using a hand-me-down that my brother used. I still use that one today in my school orchestra. It's about 13-years-old, doesn't sound as well as its younger siblings, and its original polish is now all gone, but I still love the thing. It has its own unique taste, same as watching a grandfather clock tick or listening to a record player rather than a CD. Of course, when I look at some of the other guys' shiny clarinets, I'll admit that I was tempted to replace my old one. But for 8 years, I have been loyal to it as it has been loyal to me. (Plus, a new clarinet costs more than 1000 dollars)



 I like to consider myself as a clarinetist. In a few years, I'd be playing this single instrument for 10 years! That counts as sort of a pro, right? But the thing is, even though I'd like to think I'm rather skilled at the clarinet than most, (and that's probably true) I always see clarinetists better than me. I mean, it's not surprising. Nor does it really make me feel depressed or anything. There are legit clarinetists out there who play this stuff for a living. I know I'm not the best and that won't happen unless I sell my soul to the devil. But it's the small things that annoy me. Why can't I hold my breath that long? Why can't my fingers move any faster? Why can't I make my sounds clearer? At times like that, it comes to the point where I just want to throw my instrument out the window. Sometimes I'm really tempted to do it, but it's one of the longest friends I had. I can't do that. (Also, my mom would kill me and the murder weapon would be the clarinet) So in the end, I pick it back up, moisten my lips, stretch my fingers and start practicing again.



 I'm not much of a hard worker. I know that in my blood. I can't really sit in a chair for too long to study something I don't want to. (unless it's an emergency) But if there's one thing that I can proudly say "It's not much, but it's honest work." is playing my clarinet. It is more than just a hobby for me. It's one of those things that I can just do without thinking about, like riding a bike. Embarrassing as it sounds, the clarinet is part of me.

Comments

Popular Posts